You may have noticed that most of the jewelry that I make is sterling silver. That’s because I just love the look of silver. It’s classic and modern at the same time, and it coordinates well with both casual and dressy outfits.
Silver really is an amazing material. Like gold, pure silver is too soft to make jewelry. To increase its strength and help it keep its form, additional metals are added to the silver. This creates an alloy. (See – I do use my science background!)
Sterling silver (the kind that I use) is 925 parts per thousand – or 92.5% – silver. The other 7.5% is made up of other metals, usually copper. Copper is the most common metal to add to pure silver when creating jewelry, and it gives sterling silver extra strength.
Read more →